#176 Solve a Story Problem, with FAIL and Correction

#176 Solve a Story Problem

#176 Solve the following story problem "Jack has 8 cats and 2 dogs. Jill has 7 cats and 4 dogs. How many dogs are there in all? If Jane has 23 cats and I have 2 cats, and then Jane gives me 5 cats, how many more cats does Jane have than I?"

To solve the first part of the story problem, you need to add up the number of dogs that Jack and Jill have to determine the total number of dogs. Jack has 8 cats and 2 dogs, and Jill has 7 cats and 4 dogs, so the total number of dogs is 2 + 4 = 6.

To solve the second part of the story problem, you need to determine how many cats each person has, and then subtract the number of cats that I have from the number of cats that Jane has. Jane has 23 cats and I have 2 cats, so Jane has 23 - 2 = 21 more cats than I do. If Jane gives me 5 cats, then Jane has 21 - 5 = 16 more cats than I do.


Correction: If Jane gives me 5 cats, then Jane now has 18 cats, I have 7 cats, and Jane now has 11 more cats than I do.

You are correct. If Jane gives me 5 cats, then Jane now has 18 cats and I have 7 cats. That means Jane has 11 more cats than I do, which is the correct answer to the second part of the story problem.

It is important to carefully read and understand the problem statement before attempting to solve it. In this case, the problem stated that Jane gives me 5 cats, which means that the number of cats that Jane has decreases by 5. This changes the answer to the problem, as the number of cats that Jane has is no longer 23, but rather 18.


From <https://chat.openai.com/chat>

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#4297 ISS Astronaut Unable to Speak

#4188 Hybrid/GraphRAG

#3356 PHP and JavaScript to Retrieve and Set an API_Key